Saturday 19 November 2011

"George Harrison: Living in a Material World" - Review of Martin Scorsese's Documentary


I have always been a fan of The Beatles – Mum always said that Paul was her favourite.  I didn’t have favourite members of the Band – only favourite songs.
I seem to remember there was some sort of discussion as to who wrote the better lyrics – John or Paul – but I didn’t think it mattered too much.  After the Band split up and went their separate ways, I discovered Wings and loved them too.   John’s solo work was sometimes to my taste.

I liked the song “My Sweet Lord” without realizing who wrote it.  One day in the early 1990s I discovered an album called “Cloud Nine” by George Harrison and I was spellbound.  From the very first note to the last this album is truly amazing. And the line-up!   Guitars, keyboards: George Harrison; guitars, bass keyboards: Jeff Lynne;  guitar: Eric Clapton;  piano: Elton John; piano: Gary Wright;  drums: Ringo Starr;  drums: Jim Keltner; percussion and drums: Ray Cooper; baritone and tenor sax: Jim Horn; cello: Bobby Kok. I never get tired of listening to “Cloud Nine”.

Some weeks ago I read that Martin Scorsese had produced a documentary called “George Harrison: Living in the Material World”, presumably to coincide with the tenth anniversary of Harrison’s death.   I was pleased to discover that BBC Two was to screen the documentary over the weekend of 12th and 13th November 2011, so I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.  A big thank you to everyone involved in the making of the documentary.

The only thing I don’t understand is why no mention appeared to be made of “Cloud Nine” or of the songs on that album at the end of the documentary.  To my mind it is little wonder the Beatles were such a success with the combined talent of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison.  

If you listen to the lyrics and music on “Cloud Nine”, from the first note of "Cloud Nine" to the final strains of "Got my mind set on you" you surely cannot help but discover the genius of George Harrison.


 Lucy London, November 2011