Saturday 12 March 2011

Lucy's Makeover: Make Up By smashbox / Hair by Daran


smashbox at Debenhams, Houndshill Shopping Centre, Blackpool

I first met Agnes from smashbox at The Blackpool Fashion Show held in the Winter Gardens on 26th February. What struck me was the freshness of her make-up applied that morning at around 7.00 a.m. Agnes had worked all day before manning the smashbox stand at the Fashion Show. Make-up that can be applied at 7.00 a.m. and still look good at 9.00 p.m. – that’s for me!

I made an appointment to have a make-over demonstration with Agnes at the smashbox stand at Debenhams in Blackpool’s Houndshill Shopping Centre.

The stand - near the main entrance - is light and airy. Agnes enquired if I had any skin care products on my face. I replied ‘only moisturiser’ so she got to work. First the special primer – several shades according to your skin type. I have red cheeks, so green for me.

Then the foundation and Agnes tried two shades, explaining everything as she worked and encouraging me to check in the hand mirror. Then eyes, including brows, blusher and highlighter powder and finally lips. In all about 15 minutes which left me feeling relaxed and pampered. I can’t wait to go again!

Smashbox, according to their website develop “studio inspired cosmetics to meet the demands of a professional photo shoot” and I was very impressed with my new look.

The products are not cheap but definitely worth saving up for!




Hair Boutique Salon, 7 Clifton Street, Blackpool FY1 1JD  Tel; 01253 441000

I have ME but, with a lot of help, I manage quite well. When work on the Promenade in Blackpool made it difficult for me to undertake the drive to North Shore, I asked Mark at CoCo Couture in St. Annes if he could recommend a hairdresser that I could get to easily. He suggested Daran who had just relocated to "Hair" boutique salon in Clifton Street, Blackpool.

I went to see Daran at the beginning of February and asked him to come up with a style I could manage easily and still look good - because I can’t manage to style my hair myself. I think you will agree this is it!