Sunday 16 September 2012

Walking The Course - 4th Round

Somewhat buoyed by walking a few holes of the course to follow a particular tie yesterday, I decided to do the same again today. Venturing back out of the media centre after the mid day rain had stopped, I happened upon game 6 of the fourth round, which had started off at tee 10 and was now coming to the 18th hole, which in their case was the 9th.

I was struck by how few people were following this game - especially compared to Ji Yai Shin's third round game which had finished on the 18th hole a little earlier.

Then the crowd of spectators had been about 3 deep whereas now, watching 3 players who had little chance of winning the title, there was hardly anybody there to cheer them on.  But these are still world class players - they beat the cut when other big names and former champions did not - and they still earn many thousands of dollars in prize money every year  and, as they were about to go to the 1st tee (which would be their 10th), I decided that this would be my "match of the day"  - for 3 holes, anyway.

So: cue Becky Morgan from Wales, Erina Hara from Japan and Lindsey Wright from Australia.

I got a really superb view of the players teeing off at the first tee - unlike yestererday's Creamer/Tseng/Miyazato encouter - and followed the action up the fairway.  I was glad I was there because at one point there were only about 6 people following match and we were actually outnumbered by the playing party (3 players, 3 caddies, scorer, walkie talkie man and board carrier) at one point on the second hole....

The thing is - even thought the we were well off the lead at this point, each player's perforamnce was still very important. Each shot on each hole could make a difference to their overall finishing position in the tournament which would affect how much prize money they earn, overall tour rankings and, in some cases, whether or not they qualify for their relevant national teams...  So I was there rooting for them all to do well. 

The crowd picked up a bit as we progressed along the fairway for the 3rd hole. That's where it passes closest to the spectator village and, after three holes, I took my leave of the girls and came back to tell you all about it.

At this moment Msses Morgan, Hara and Wright are out on the 7th hole somewhere - which today is their 16th - and it is absolutely pouring with rain so I think I probably made the right decision!

More tournament news to follow - watch this space!