Wednesday 25 April 2012

Film Review: “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”


 Having fallen in love with the trailer for this film back in February, I knew I would enjoy watching it and I was not disappointed.

Directed by Lasse Hallström, with superb casting, wonderful filming, a brilliant script by Simon Beaufoy from the book by Paul Torday and excellent performances from all the cast, the main actors being Amr Waked, Kristin Scott Thomas, Ewen McGregor, Emily Blunt and Tom Mison, the film tells the story of one man’s attempt to help his native country by building a dam to conserve their precious water supply.  As his hobby is fly-fishing, he wants to stock the resulting waters with salmon.   Undertaking such a difficult task (putting it mildly) requires a tremendous leap of faith and that is what this film is about, with several intruiging sub plots to keep us all guessing.  A message of hope at a time when we could all do with a lot of faith and hope.

As always, I’m the last to leave because I just cannot drag myself away until the screen has gone blank. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and acknowledge the hard work and dedication of every single person and animal involved in the making of this wonderful film – so I feel the least I can do is to try to read every name on the credits - thank you all.  I only wish I could slow down the credits for I am a rather slow reader!