Monday 19 December 2011

Coffee With Sammi - or... How I Came To Want A Home Coffee Maker


When we heard that our friend Sammi Marsh (international model, star of shopping TV and, of course, "Miss Best Kept Secrets") was demonstrating coffee machines in Debenhams in Blackpool, we just HAD to go along and find out all about it

Paul really likes coffee so this was one shopping trip he was really up for but, as he explains here, he wasn't too sure about wanting a coffee machine at home:

"Although I like nice coffee I have always found the process of making proper coffee (as opposed to instant) a bit labout intensive and messy.  We have a caffetiere at home and when you use it, first of all you run the risk of shooting hot liquid and coffee grounds all over the place when you press down the plunger, then you always have the quandry of getting rid of the used coffee grounds afterwards.

I have seen what I would call "nice" coffee makers in the shops and in catalogues where you fill the "thing" ( for want of the correct terminology) with ground coffee (like they do in a coffee shop) make the coffee and then have to bang it afterwards to get the used grounds out.  Here agin, I always found the idea of this rather labour intensive and - again - with a high potential (at least in my case) for making a mess - so I always thought I'd leave it to the professionals.

But I was very pleasantly surprised when Sammi showed us how this new machine works (this isn't an advert for that particular model - just an appreciation of the general concept - other TV listings magazines are available and other outlets than Debenhams also sell coffee machines, obviously...).  It's one of those that have been advertised on TV recently where the coffee comes in a plastic pod ( they look a bit like the invidual portions of Marmite you get in cafés...) and you pop it in the machine, press the hot water handle and off you go!  You have to remember to put your cup in position and top up the water container but, apart from that, even I couldn't make too much mess with this sort of set up...!"

So there you are - now you know what this photo is all about!